[c-nsp] FWSM Is there a way to enable unknown unicast flooding?

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Fri Sep 28 11:46:44 EDT 2007

FWSM running 3.2

I am setting it up in transparent mode with 3 bridge-groups, one for
each ISP on outside.

    The problem is each of our ISP connections are /30 netblocks and
each bridge-group require an IP address so that it can resolve what port
the EtherDst is on according to the Bridge Table.  If the EtherDst is
not in Bridge Table then the FWSM will ARP for the device so it will get
added to table, using the IP of the Bridge-group as Src.  This is only
because the FWSM will never flood unicast packets if it does not have a
bridge-table entry, but if flooding could be enabled in our case, (only
two routers on link) then I would not have to assign each bridge-group
an IP, and just use one for management.

    I have demonstrated in our lab that this is the way it work and
CISCO concurs.
It is true that the likelihood of it needing to ARP is very slim but
there is the possibility.

    If there were only a hidden switch to enable flooding for our case.

    We have one ISP which may not allow the use of a /29 link.

Any thoughts on this issue.

Thank you for any help;

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems