[c-nsp] PPPoE L2 timeout recovery

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:25:21 EST 2008

I have a 3640A with a WIC1-ADSL residing in an NM-1FE1R2W.  IOS is
12.4(13b)

Periodically, about every month or two, the dsl link will drop and
debugging output shows:
... Sending PADI: vc=0/35
... padi timer expired

Doing a shut no shut on atm2/0 seems to bring the line up back up and it
then works fine for another month or two until I have to do it again.  The
amount of traffic doesn't seem to trigger this behavior.  The shut no shut
seems to cause a line retrain on this platform since the CD light goes out
after the shut.

Is this necessarily an ISP problem, or is there something I might be
missing on my end like overflowing some NAT table or something?  Any other
config I should provide?

~JasonG