[c-nsp] CAB-SFP-50CM= question

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Feb 11 16:37:44 EST 2008

Robert Hass wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just wondering about Cisco CAB-SFP-50CM= (Catalyst 3560 SFP
> Interconnect Cable, 50cm).
> Can I use it for:
>
> 1) Connect two Cat6500/Sup32 together via CAB-SFP-50CM= (2 for each
> switch) and form 2Gb/s PortChannel ?
> 2) Connect Cat2960G to two Cat6500 ? (and provide redundancy via RSTP)
>
> It could be nice alternative to SFP SX...

Robert,

I can't think of a technical reason why it wouldn't work, as far as the
IOS is concerned (though I have never tried it).  I would say that the
cable is very short.  50cm isn't very long at all.  You could
potentially do it if the 6500s are in adjacent 2-posts with no vertical
wire managements between the 2-posts but the overall length would be
questionable.  One thing I'll point out is that in our 3560s the
SFP-50CM pops out of the SFP bay *very easily*.  I wire-tied the slack
to the frame to prevent them from popping out, again.  FYI

Justin