[c-nsp] 10G vs. EtherChannel over WDM MUX on 7600

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 12:53:21 EST 2008

The Etherchannel depends on your traffic makeup.  If you have a ton of
traffic between two hosts, then it's not going to do you much good.
For something like an Internet distribution of src/dst it works very
well.

You should have no issues with Etherchannel over CWDM, it's agnostic
to the transport mechanism, and many have done it beofre.  A passive
CWDM mux is going to be a little cheaper than buying 10G cards for the
7600, and offers more flexibility.   That being said I'd probably do
the 10G straight away if you have the money to do so, but Etherchannel
+CWDM has some additional benefits when it comes to protection against
interface failure.

Phil