[c-nsp] 10G vs. EtherChannel over WDM MUX on 7600

Ian McDonald iam at st-andrews.ac.uk
Sun Feb 17 14:02:02 EST 2008

> Phil
>
> On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Zahid Hassan wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> I am trying to increase bandwidth between my 7600s running as
>> PE/P routers with 1G line cards terminating dark fibre links.
>>
>> I am exploring the following two options:
>>
>> Option I
>> ---------
>> - replace the 1G lines cards with 10G on the 7600s
>> - terminate the dark fibre links on the 10G line cards

Do the 1G cards have to come out? See below.

>> Option II
>> ----------
>> - terminate the dark fibre links on passive CWDM MUX
>> - EtherChannel multiple 1G interfaces over CWDM MUX

If you were to run *D* WDM, you could run 10G and 1G MUXed over the same
fibre, offering card/xenpak failure protection, giving you some
connectivity in the event of a 10G failure. Or even multiple 10G, to
save you from individual XenPak, but perhaps not linecard failure.
Depends how much money you want to spend, and what your topology is.

I've 1G links running alongside my 10G, as all my 10G in each chassis is
on one card, and I decided that all my eggs in one slot was not too
clever an idea (as rare as linecard failures seem to be ;) ). That said,
I've lots of pairs, as it's a campus environment, and I just added the
10G alongside my existing 1G links.

--
ian