[c-nsp] Netflow Question

Mike Butash der.mikus at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:27:36 EDT 2008

Hi Dale,

   Haven't used Cisco netflow collector software, but I can only assume
like most of their typical (java) software it's probably an overpriced
abortion waiting to happen.  Cisco makes great hardware, though their
software leaves much to be desired...

   For a big shop with multiple large flow sources, Arbor Peakflow
products are _very_ nice, but price puts them out of the reach of small
to medium business.  They are an enterprise/service provider product
though, I've seen them scale in very large environments provide a wealth
of information that is priceless, especially when you're prone to DDoS
and other forms of abuse.

   On a smaller scale, I always use and install for customers
open-source Ntop on Linux when it's a temporary or a small shop, but
have seen it scale pretty decently, at least over 100mb on something
like a dell 1850 server.  Good reporting app with a web interface,
provides lots of nice detail and features of your traffic.  There are
lots of open-source netflow apps out there, just google for linux and
netflow.

   In 12.4T there is also the topN talker function in IOS to give you a
list of top talkers currently that is nice when available, but only if
you have a smaller platform that uses 12.4T on cutting-edge code.  All
depends what your platforms and budgets look like.

-mb