[c-nsp] Sup720, SXH or SXF?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 16 16:38:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:01:53PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:
> Upgrading a couple 6503s from Sup32s to Sup720-3BXLs.  TAC is
> recommending one of the following images:
>
> -- s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH3a.bin
> -- s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF15.bin
>
> When asked what the difference was, the best I got back was:
>
> > Their only main difference is on the naming convention for IOS. SXF15 is
> > the latest on the SXF train where the patches and sotware fixed for
> > documented bugs were integrated while SHX3a is the latest on the SXH
> > train. The new name designed our development Engineers for new code
> train.

Oh, amazing, this level of detail :-o

If you search on www.cisco.com for "SXH3 release notes", you should find
a (very very long) page that details all the new features in SXH as
compared to SXF.

> Any recommendations on which train I should be on?  The Sup32s are
> running SXF5.

I'd go for SXF13a or SXF14.  Those have been very reliable for us.

Regarding SXF15, there have been "interesting" reports on this list.

SXH3a has tons of new features, many of them are quite cool, but I'm not
sure I fully trust it yet - SXH3 has bitten us with a nasty BGP bug (which
is fixed in SXH3a).  See the page mentioned above if there is anything
you want/need to have - otherwise, I'd stay with SXF.

(SXF5, on the other hand, has memory leaks in BGP, if I remember
correctly... :) ).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de