[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Tue Jul 14 10:24:56 EDT 2009

Indeed, but the original question asked was about the instance
limitations, and all the responses thrown out are in the 1000-4000
range, discussing virtual interfaces and RPVST.  Nobody seems to have
answered the fairly simple initial question.  I think that answer is
"either 16 or 64, depending on your code".

The separate question of "do you really need all 1000 of those
instances" is a design debate which could be had at length, and would
likely come out different depending on the underlying network design
and requirements.

At least in the case of the enterprise where I work, the "whole point
of MST" is that it's a proper open standard, rather than one of those
super scary Cisco Proprietary Protocols.

-Geoff