[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 14 11:00:36 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:24:56AM -0500, Geoffrey Pendery wrote:
> At least in the case of the enterprise where I work, the "whole point
> of MST" is that it's a proper open standard, rather than one of those
> super scary Cisco Proprietary Protocols.

Nothing in (rapid) PVSTP is "super scary cisco proprietary".

It's just logical thinking - you have VLANs, you have STP, you need to
combine them to make it work in a useful way.  Result: PVSTP.

I was more than astonished to find that other vendors still ship boxes
with single-STP, and sell this as a "feature".

<rant>
MST is what comes out if vendor committees get together, and agree to
implement the least common determinator in the most complicated way.
</rant>

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de