[c-nsp] Maximum spannig tree instances

Geoffrey Pendery geoff at pendery.net
Fri Jul 17 10:09:30 EDT 2009

"The point of MST is to realize that there's never going to be more
than two possible forwarding topologies, and computing more is a total
waste."

But that statement is specific to your network design and your
topology.  Surely you're not claiming that it's never possible to
build a network with more than two topologies?  Surely you mean to say
that "the place where MST is useful is in scenarios where there's
never going to be more than two possible forwarding topologies, and
computing more is a total waste."

I believe the consensus here is that yes, MST works just great, for a
certain specific scenario.  I called it a car vs a boat earlier, but
we can go to a toolbox metaphor if that works better.  MST is a lovely
hammer, but when I've got screws to screw in, I don't want a hammer.
Nor do I want the screwdriver when it comes time to drive in nails.  I
want both tools in my toolbox, and I'll use the appropriate one at the
appropriate time.

I'm not trying to say "MST is never useful and always terrible", but rather:
"MST doesn't fit all scenarios.  For many scenarios, RPVST is much
better, and it's a shame that we've only got an open standard MST,
rather than two open standards to cover both scenarios."

When you're given the mandate/requirement/strong-preference of using
open standard protocols rather than Cisco proprietary ones (not an
unreasonable goal) it leads to great frustration, because you end up
having to hammer in screws.  This frustration apparently leads to some
ranting on email lists.

-Geoff