[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Jun 17 19:59:05 EDT 2009

  On Jun 15, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Kevin Graham wrote:
> Given the 192 ports of 10/100/1000, presumably this is aggregating
> customers,
> in which case it'd be best to roll these up on 7600/RSP720 (along
> with their
> associated BGP, since most of them would probably be suitable for
> peer-groups).
> uRPF wouldn't be a problem, and hopefully ACL's would be uniform
> enough across
> customers to share most of the ACE entries.
>
> With that compromise (namely loosing customer-customer netflow
> detail), the
> remaining requirements for full netflow exports and the balance of
> the BGP
> workload are feasible for any of ASR1k, GSR, or CRS-1.

We don't have core and edge -- our switches do both.   Every port on
the switch is either a BGP peer/uplink/downlink or a customer.  Every
port layer3-routed with only a few handfuls of customers with dual
links.

Purchasing a switch to be the edge and then another to handle BGP
seems a bit of overkill for our fairly small datacenters  (largest
will have around 300 customers ~ 360 ports).   I'd prefer something
that can handle both edge and core duties.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness