[c-nsp] full routing table / provider-class chassis

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Jun 17 20:17:08 EDT 2009

> We don't have core and edge -- our switches do both.   Every port on
> the switch is either a BGP peer/uplink/downlink or a
> customer.  Every port layer3-routed with only a few handfuls
> of customers with dual links.
>
> Purchasing a switch to be the edge and then another to handle
> BGP seems a bit of overkill for our fairly small datacenters
> (largest
> will have around 300 customers ~ 360 ports).   I'd prefer something
> that can handle both edge and core duties.

Do you put dual Sup's in the switches?  Ie, how do you handle the scenario
of software upgrades (doesn't the whole switch have to go down to do this
type of maintenance, or do you not do that sort of thing) or switch
malfunctions?  Is it a safe bet to put so many customers and links into one
box? Or are you actually using multiple switches?

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.