[c-nsp] Possible interface counter bug, but wanted to check..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 15 14:18:49 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:56:07PM -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
> We have a Gig-E connection going from a GSR to a 6500 and the 6500
> appears to be showing almost double the amount of traffic/packets
> per second than the GSR is showing in its interface counters

Not that anybody has ever heard of "counter bugs" in IOS before... :-)

> The 6500 is running:  12.2(18)SXD7b

This IOS is ancient.

I have not seen obvious counter bugs of this sort on our 6500s yet,
but the oldest IOS we've ever used there is SXF.  So it might or might
not be an old-IOS-bug...

If you sum up *other* interfaces on these boxes, or compare the
interface byte counters, do they agree with the GSR or the 6500?  (Since
the values are *so* different, just getting a rough idea from looking
at the interface counters every 5 minute and calculating the average
bandwidth by hand should suffice)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de