[c-nsp] "Enhanced" download procedure

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 21 21:51:47 EDT 2009

On 9/18/09 5:59 AM, Eric Van Tol wrote:

> My impression is that they take their feedback from customers that
> don't use the Cisco site all that often and are caught up in the
> mythical "Web 2.0" garbage that keeps infecting the internet.

Except that, in Cisco's case, it's "Web 2.0(45a)SXB12b."  And it doesn't
actually work.

What's amazing is that after several tries to get the stoopid thing to
work, I still had to rename the files (with the embedded backslashes
mentioned before).  Clearly, they didn't test on any platform other than
Oscar Bauer's Windows XP machine.  That's such a fundamental violation
of any interoperability standard that it's laughable.

Anyway, the reason I had to download the image I was downloading was to
see if it actually supported the WS-6324-MM card for the 6500.  See, the
release notes all say that all versions of 12.2(33)SXH and 12.2(33)SXI
are supposed to support this card, but of course they don't (they were
supposed to stop supporting the WS-6324-SM card but someone apparently
screwed up and stopped supporting both cards).  Cisco "fixed" the
problem so that the IOS no longer powers down the card as "unsupported."
  It happily identifies the card and allows it to consume power, but it
won't let you configure the interfaces, nor will it forward traffic, etc.

My general experience today makes me wonder if Cisco has any idea what
the word "support" means anymore.

michael