[c-nsp] Disabling PVST+ in mixed vendor network

j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl j.vaningenschenau at utwente.nl
Wed Jun 23 11:46:24 EDT 2010

Roman,

>> Thanks for the suggestion. We already do that on all access ports on
>> the HP switches that support it. However, on the trunks between HP
>> and Cisco we have to run MST or RSTP for link redundancy. I want to
>> keep RSTP or MST on those links, but disable PVST+.
>
> You can try both commands "spanning-tree mode mst" and no
> spanning-tree vlan xxx" in global config mode along with certain
> native 802.1q vlans on trunk links to complete the task.

Thanks. The first one is already in our config; we were thinking about
configuring "no spanning-tree vlan 1-4095" in a maintenance window. I
hope that won't break our single MST instance but does kill off all
PVST+ stuff.

Still, I wonder whether it will have the desired effect. Our intention
is completely ignoring or dropping occasional inbound PVST+ frames on
the Cat6k. They might be sourced from equipment out of our control...

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands