[c-nsp] Service agreement warning for EOL hardware

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Sep 30 18:53:42 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-01 00:28, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> So I went to download the "latest" image for an ancient router and
> received this nifty error message:
> Seeing as how the 3640 went EOS in 2002 and EOL in 2007, it can't have a
> service contract or be eligible for one. Is this something I should care
> about?

Service contract for a platform may be valid up to 5 years after
it went EoS. When you look at the EoS note for 3640:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d840.html

There's a "End of new service attachment - November 2006". So, a
customer activating a 5-year agreement with Cisco on November 2006
could have a support to November 2011. Usually such agrements are made
as part of multi-year Advanced Services contracts. Typical service for
end users is fixed at one year, so most of typical customers ended
up with 3640 no longer supported after November 2007.

Going back to the text - it seems that you're trying to download
image you're either not at all, or no longer authorized to download.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net