[c-nsp] 3560 vs 4948 shared buffer memory (IPv6 usage)

Howard Leadmon howard at leadmon.net
Thu Mar 10 19:14:10 EST 2011

 I already know most consider the 4948 a nice switch with much deeper
buffers, but as mentioned it says IPv6 is not handled in hardware.   Has
anyone run IPv6 through the switch, as I am curious how much IPv6 is can
actually process before it falls apart on the network?   As I already have
dual-stack running in our network, I have no interest to discontinue this.
Also I have some 3560G's currently in operation, and I was curious as to how
it would impact things, if I were to put a 4948 into a dual-stack network?

 At the moment was only move 200-300mbit of traffic, as we in fact also use a
7206VXR/NPE-G2 for our router, so IPv6 is of course software routed on that
as well, so really curious as to if the 4948 will hold up in our network, and
if with the (at least at this time) limited IPv6 we are moving would really
be much of an issue.

 Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any experiences with using a 4948 in a
dual-stack environment??

---
Howard Leadmon

(nicotine at warningg.com)