[c-nsp] New Joiner - ME3600X and tools

Per Carlson pelle at hemmop.com
Tue Mar 29 06:08:21 EDT 2011

Hi Reuben

> Can you or anyone else who has access to both the ME3600X and ME3800X
> enlighten as to any of the other differences between these two platforms?

I have personally no experience with the ME3800X, so I can't give any
detailed comments.

> I had come to the view that the ME3600X and ME3800X were practically
> identical apart from some QoS buffer differences, licensing and slight
> variation in TCAM space...but seems there may be more differences than just
> those.

That's more or less my impression as well. The "slight variation in
TCAM space" is though an oversimplification IMHO. The 3800X do contain
significant more HW than the 3600X. To get a better overview of the
scalability, look at the Release Notes
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/12.2_52_ey/release/notes/ol23402.html)

The info regarding no H-VPLS on 3600X come from our Cisco Rep. Now
when looking at "Configuring MPLS..."
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/12.2_52_ey/configuration/guide/swmpls.html#wp1244272)
it's clearly states:

Support for H-VPLS
The Metro 3800X and Metro 3600X switches support hierarchical VPLS (H-VPLS).

Note that there is a multitude of roles within a H-VPLS network, and
the 3600X might not fit all of those (my guess).

--
Pelle

RFC1925, truth 11:
 Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and
 a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.