[c-nsp] BGP Required MTU Size Between Cisco Devices

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Thu Sep 22 14:40:47 EDT 2011

I think you're mixing apples and oranges a bit.

Do you mean the BGP session would come up and not stay up?

If so you need to do a
show ip bgp neighbor a.b.c.d | inc data

and view the mss size, make sure that packets of that negotiated size can
pass over the link.  What you'll see in this case many times is keep alive
packets not traversing so the link will come up and then drop when the keep
alive timer is exceeded.

If you mean that traffic would establish, routes would exchange, and then
the session would stay up but traffic couldn't traverse over 5M/S you've
probably got something else at work rather than BGP.  If I'm understanding
what you're saying correctly which I might not be.