[c-nsp] TDMOP solution

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Tue Jul 3 15:44:40 EDT 2012

hey,

> I did some research and came across a non-Cisco product "RAD Data
> Communications GMUX-2000" which can supposedly perform the TDMOP
> functions but I have never worked with their gear before so have no
> previous experience w/ this company and their product.

Stay away from RAD - horrible software quality. Pressing back button in
web interface (because CLI is even more horrible) at the wrong time
locks up whole management and is resolvable only by box reboot, just as
an example. They also don't have full TDMoMPLS implementation for most
devices, only static labels.

> Also I am curious if anyone has any recommendations from the Cisco
> side (as that is where my experience lies).   I would think an MPLS
> enabled core would be prerequisite in order to tunnel TDM traffic
> across an IP infrastructure with appropriate translation devices.

 From Cisco ASR901/903 but I suggest you to consider Alcatel 7705 SAR
(which we are using very successfully).

Technically MPLS is not needed, there is also pure IP or GRE
encapsulation available for some vendors but YMMV regarding interop,
MPLS is really the safest way.

--
tarko