[c-nsp] Peering between route reflectors

JC Cockburn ccie15385 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:33:10 EDT 2014

Hi All,
So the idea of having a RR is to avoid having full mesh between ALL iBGP
routers (as already mentioned)...and this stems from the way BGP  operates:
BGP rule says it will not readvertise any prefix learned from another BGP
peer in same AS (iBGP).

The reason for 2 or more RRs is for redundancy. If your lone RR fails your
whole network will die...doesn't matter if this is in forwarding path or
not.
And, in some weird scenario (several link failures perhaps...) where one
RR-client is only connected to RR1 and another RR-Client is only connected
to RR2 you will lose connectivity if the RRs are not peered...

So you can either peer them as per normal fashion or create them as
RR-clients for each other as well....

My 2c for tonight...
Ciao
JC