[c-nsp] cisco memory bug / propabilities?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 31 10:10:35 EDT 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 08:51:33AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
>> AFAIK, the problem is with the removable 1gb DIMMs on the cards...so you
>> don't have to get spare Sups and line cards...you could just buy a couple
>> of spare 1gb memory modules for them (if you have hands on-site you trust
>> to do surgery on a card).  Unfortunately, on a card like the 6708, getting
>> to that memory module is a PITA as it's under the DFC.
>
> Mmmh, this might be worth a try :-) - I'm feeling a bit lazy today - is
> there a list of part numbers somewhere (particularily sup720, sup720-10G
> and 6704/6708)?  Quick googling didn't turn up anhyting useful...

Are you asking about part numbers affected by this defect or part numbers
for the memory modules themselves?

When I contacted one of our parts sources for pricing on spare memory
modules, I was kind of surprised to be told the 1gb module for a Sup720 is
a different part than the same size module for a 6708.  I don't know if
they're really not interchangeable or if cisco just slapped different part
numbers on the same modules for different uses.