[c-nsp] 3850?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Apr 10 03:32:24 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 10:58:28PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> However it's not good to not know what the competitors can do.

I do not see HP as a reasonable competitor, so that's not particularily
interesting.

OTOH, if I want to look for netflow capabilities, Cisco has enough platforms
in house that offer very good netflow - all the software boxes, ASR9000,
to some extent even Sup720 (even a 10 year old Sup720 can do better netflow
than a 3850 of today).

> We use such information to keep Cisco on their toes and to stop
> complacency. SDN capabilities for example.

<rant ahead>
... and I do not see SDN as something which is desirable in any way
for our environment.  We already have enough interesting ways to make
our network blow up.  (Now, SR with "SDN controller defining FEC classes"
at the *edge* might be worth looking more closely, but this is still way
out - in the core, depending on some sort of PC box "somewhere else in
the network" is so totally no-go.  But I encourage my competitors to do so)
</rant>

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de