[c-nsp] Internet in VRF

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Apr 30 12:41:21 EDT 2015

Hi,

     I'd like to ask for the collective opinion on routing in service
provider network serving broadband subscribers:

     I have an ASR1k and will be terminating PPPoE broadband subscribers
here. I'll also be terminating my primay internet feed (BGP) here, and I
the future I will have 3 providers and will be multihomed. I also will
have some MPLS vpns for certain customers.

     I think I want to have my default routing table carry mostly
loopbacks and direct interface connected routes, while I want to stuff
everything else into VRF's. Those other VRF's are likely to be Internet
(full tables), Subscribers (all the /32's for PPPoE subscribers), and
the odd vrf for any mpls vpn customers.  The challenge is that - I think
- I would want to only leak a default route into any other non-Internet
VRF that requires shared service access to it, which should keep the
table sizes down. My question is, does this sound reasonable? Is there
any reason I wouldn't want to set things up this way?

Mike-