[c-nsp] Fibre Channel over SDH STM64

Feedly Reader feedlyreader at outlook.com
Mon Jul 6 18:46:52 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I was looking for some insight around carrying 8G Fibre Channel data over
third party P2P links. We would like to connect Fibre Channel switching to
each other between two locations and the only available options are 10G
Ethernet or an SDH link provided by local carrier. They will not provide
dark fibre or wavelength for us to use.

I have looked in to using Nexus 5600 and carrying 8G FC as FCOE traffic over
10G Ethernet. However, this requires another switching device (Nexus 5600)
between the two Fibre Channel Switches (MDS 9200).

I have also looked in to using FCIP, which is the currently the only option
we can do without having another set of devices.

So, it is possible to carry 8G FC traffic over STM64 transparently, possibly
using a transponder card or have I lost the plot?

Thanks!