[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

quinn snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:47:22 EDT 2015

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 12:50, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:
>
> I guess these boxes make sense in legacy RAN networks, where you may need a mix-and-match of old interfaces that you can uplink into your MPLS core.
>
> I suppose one could use them as an edge router where low-speed non-Ethernet interfaces are needed. For that, I'd typically go with an ASR1000 or MX104.

we’re seeing a larger uptake of these boxen in locations/customer environments were migration from tdm/serial to ethernet is occurring.  think legacy monitoring systems wherein sonet/scada was used and there is a requirement/desire to replace gear and move towards converged ip infrastructure.  the issue is that some sensors/interfaces aren’t natively ethernet and require some low-speed interface to bring it into the ip domain.
however — this falls in line with what you’ve talked about with low-speed “mix-n-match” flexibility.  i think cisco’s market (initially) was cell-site/ran backhaul.  i’ve not done a price/module comparison between asr1k and asr902/903 — but would assume it comes down to requirements.  both types of kit have been solid (with their oddities, of course) in my experience.

q.