[c-nsp] ASR902 vs ME3800X

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Tue Mar 24 10:35:50 EDT 2015

On 03/23/2015 09:53 PM, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> Would really like other people thoughts on the ASR920, and why Cisco are now "anti-ME" (Well they certainly arent making them an attractive option v's the ASR920) ??
>
> Cheers.

I got this link back from the folks who quoted the asr920 for me. Looks
like Gert was correct - the "pay as you grow" model is in full effect.
I was expecting to have to turn on 10ge ports, but I'm surprised that in
many cases you have to "grow into" your 1ge ports as well.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/csa/b_port_licensing_asr920.html

Still, what we've been given for pricing, assuming the pay as you grow
doesn't double the cost, is very attractive for customer facing edge
gear.  The project scope hasn't been defined, and may never be, but
assuming we're just looking at l2/l3vpn and non-BGP DIA I'm going to
give these serious consideration.

Thanks for all of the info folks!

Tim Densmore