[c-nsp] Optical - rx power low warning

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Sat May 2 12:54:47 EDT 2015

On 05/02/2015 09:51 AM, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> 10GBASE-ER/EW should only be 40km - ZR would be the longer distance ones.
>
> Can you compare it to the light levels seen on the other end of the
> link? The levels should be approximately equal.
> Are you sure it is 20 miles and not a little longer? I would not be
> happy running the link based on these light levels.
> Are there any patch panels? Have all the cables been cleaned?
>

> Based on Cisco's web site:
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_15160.html
>
> SFP-10G-ER1: 10GBASE-ER, 1550-nm SMF
> Max Distance: 24.86 miles (40 km)3
> Tx: 4.0 (Max)
> Tx: -4.7 (Min)
> Rx: -1.0 (Max)
> Rx: -15.8 (Min)
> Freq: 1530 to 1565

As a follow up, I've talked to my vendor.  The optics are ok and traffic
is working fine (as confirmed by smokeping over the last 72 hours) but
the programming is wrong, vendor fskup, and thats the explanation for my
problem. I'm geting replacements and will post results when those are in.

Thank you.

Mike-