[c-nsp] "New" IOS release time frame, when bug is identified

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 22 13:06:25 EDT 2015

On 22/May/15 18:47, Mack McBride wrote:
> If you only use links and loopbacks in your network the table should be pretty small.
> Eliminating links is necessary once you get to a certain size but we are in 30 something locations in numerous states and two countries
> and we haven't had to remove links yet.  BGP links to eBGP sessions should probably be the last links removed.

So basically, whatever is in your IGP (which includes Static and
Connected routes).

Local routers on which the Static and Connected routes exist will assign
a label to said route on Cisco. Remote routers will only assign an
outgoing label to that route if said route is advertised to them (e.g.,
redistributed into your IGP, for example). Otherwise you only consume a
label for said routes on the local router alone.

Anything else that ends up the IGP will be allocated a local label on
the local router, as well as an outgoing label on all remote routers
participating in the IGP.

As you say, one can trim this down on Cisco by crafting a label
allocation filter that only assigns labels to Loopback routes.

Mark.