[c-nsp] Ode to the old days

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Dec 8 18:22:02 EST 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, Howard Jones wrote:

> The good old days of absolutely shocking software testing...
> e.g. the Ascend Max software build that never released IPs from the assigned
> client IP pool - 200 user connections later, the helpdesk goes crazy. Or the
> awesome Nortel Baystack bugs where pressing the "wrong" key in the "wrong"
> menu would just crash the whole stack. Both in GA firmware. Nortel had a
> whole selection of similar issues in their errata.

Reminds me of a bit of consulting I did way back on a SCO Unix server.
Being used to Linux, and curious what was in the /etc/hosts file, I
half-typed/half-tab completed "cat /etc/host" and hit enter, not noticing
that it'd stopped short of the s.  The system immediately crashed / locked
up.  Realizing, what I'd done, (on SCO, /etc/host is a binary), I expected
crap in my terminal...but not that the system should crash from that.
It's owner called SCO support, explained what happened, and was told it
was a known bug...and "would you like to buy the update that fixes it?"
WTF?!?