[c-nsp] router suggestion for backup link

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jul 14 02:25:58 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 09:24:55PM -0700, aptgetd wrote:
> Can anyone provide suggestion outside cisco ASR/ISR router line that can handle
> 2.5gb throughput base license/model and has room for growth? Both ASR/ISR seem
> to be a little pricey/feature rich for what we are needing for our backup link
> of 2Gb.

This very much depends on what this box needs to do, except "2.5 Gbit".

ISR44xx ends at 2 Gbit/s for the 4451, so it's not interesting anyway.

ASR1001-x will do whatever you want, but is expensive.

ASR920 OTOH is comparably cheap, but will not do NAT and will not hold
full tables - but if all you need is "fast and cheap", this is your box.

If it does not need to be Cisco, there's Juniper MX150 or possibly
SRX345 (run as router, not as firewall).

gert