[c-nsp] OSPF routing question

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Tue Jul 17 22:57:37 EDT 2018

Lee,

Change the Floating static route to an administrative distance of 254, so it is higher than OSPF.

router static
 address-family ipv4 unicast
 45.x.x.0/22 Null0 254

When the route is learned via OSPF it will have a metric of 110 and the ospf route will be installed into the routing table.

When the route is not learned via OSPF the floating static router on your Edge router will be active. This will still allow BGP to advertise the route.

Also, if you don't want to advertise the floating static route to other devices in your network you can do the following.

Add the tag 1 on the static route will stop it from being redistributed in your network.

router static
 address-family ipv4 unicast
 45.x.x.0/22 Null0 254 tag 1

router ospf 1
 log adjacency changes
 redistribute static route-policy IPV4-OSPF-REDIST-STATIC

route-policy IPV4-OSPF-REDIST-STATIC
  if tag eq 1 then
    drop
  endif
  done

If a static route has the tag of 1 it will not be redistributed into OSPF, so the rest of the network will not learn about the route.

Side note, most ISP's will only advertise there Loopback and Core "Circuits" IPs in there IGP.  They will run iBGP between all of the there devices and allow BGP to redistribute the static and connected interfaces. BGP is also easier to manipulate routes on your network. Send me an email if you would like to know more.

Here is an old but still very relevant power point on this.

https://www.pacnog.org/pacnog2/track2/routing/a3-1up.pdf
3 - OSPF for ISPs - PacNOG<https://www.pacnog.org/pacnog2/track2/routing/a3-1up.pdf>
www.pacnog.org
© 2005 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. 1 Session Number Presentation_ID Cisco Confidential Deploying OSPF for ISPs ISP/IXP Workshops