[c-nsp] 10Gb for VSAN

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Tue Jul 24 20:19:37 EDT 2018

On 24/07/18 23:02, Michael Malitsky wrote:
> I have a Cat 4506 (Sup7L-E) serving a medium-sized business.  We are
> looking to overhaul the server side and add VSAN on 4-5 hosts, for
> which we'll need a handful (8-10) 10Gb ports.  I see the only option
> for the 4506 chassis is the 4712-SFP module, and the combination
> seems underwhelming, even before I look up the pricing. As I
> understand it, the TOR option from Cisco would be a Nexus, which
> seems overkill for the application?

There are suitably-reliable 20-port Nexus 5010s you can pick-up for
peanuts. I don't believe you can still get support, but maybe you can
get the latest software via PSIRT.

Lots of noise made and power utilised with those, so someone with more
money would obviously punt you towards the [actually white-box] N3k line
for Cisco hardware that does the same thing "in support".

Certainly, that Cat 4500 wasn't made for it with a 48Gbit/sec backplane.
Amazingly, the Cat 4500-X seems to have better density, as well as being
from the same gen of supervisor.

> For those who have invented this wheel already, please share the
> wisdom. For now, I am seriously considering putting in a 10Gb
> Ubiquity switch...

If that's all you need to do this 'VSAN' thing, then why not. See-also:

 Cisco 3650/3850
 Cisco 4500-X
 Extreme X620/X670/X690
 Various Quantas, EdgeCores, Mellanox, ad infinitum.
 Netgear? lol

Have fun!

--
Tom