[c-nsp] Leaked Video or Not (Linux and Cisco for internal Sales folks)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jun 22 04:27:41 EDT 2018

Hey Tails Pipes,

What do you mean by 'not making sense with the defense against open source'?

All their operating systems run linux, IOS-XE, IOS-XR, NXOS and more.

And no one is (well at least shouldn't be) surprised that the obvious
motivation that drives linux use, is that you get booting OS, for
free, which actually works. Almost no vendor no longer maintains their
own booting OS. Huawei, Juniper, Cisco, Arista all boot Linux. Nokia
is one of the few who still write their own booting OS (forked off
vxworks years ago), which also means they can't bring easily and
cheaply new control-plane HW, and possible reason why they run Cavium
control-plane is because they've not written code to boot XEON.

I see no reason why the video would be taken down, I didn't watch it
in its entirety as I'm not curious about Linux primer at this time,
but the sections you highlighted are in no way controversial.

I'm unsure what argument you're trying to make about Cisco, open
source or Cumulus. Cumulus is, in my mind, no special vendor. Just
another vendor buying COTS chips and writing OS on them, like many
others. I'm not saying it's bad thing, I'm just saying they're in no
way disruptive in my mind. They're not doing packet pushing in Linux,
no one is. It's just booting OS, and OS to configure the
forwarding-plane.
Now some are looking anxiously at XEON for packet pushing, but even in
that case, you're not actually using Linux to push packets, granted
you're using open source, DPDK or equivalent, but even in that case,
the cost for PPS from INTC XEON is far worse than it is from BRCM. And
of course neither ITNC nor BRCM are in any meaningful way more 'open'.

What would be disruptive is someone openly publishing their ASIC/NPU
specs and P4 compiler, so that we use vanillla linux kernel to drive
the forwarding-plane.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 at 03:50, Tails Pipes <tailsnpipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I went to CiscoLive last week, and i understood that they are definitely
> not making sense with the defense against open source and the direction of
> LBN (Linux Based Networking) However, they still like to use Linux and make
> money out of it. (minute 09:13), complete and utter bullish hypocrisy.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyC_T-u8Wsw
>
> Not sure if this is a leaked video or not, but i am kind of surprised that
> this company is openly admitting these kind of ideas.
>
> What really ticked me to share this is when the executive in the video
> (Chuck Duffy) is openly admitting the competitive pressure, and how IOS is
> inferior to Linux (minute 01:07), the way he spoke about IOS was inferring
> that its classic or legacy and thats why its picked up in all their
> products.
>
> What i wasnt able to comprehend at all is why he mentioned Big switch and
> cumulus on minute 02:50, is this like a slip of truth or a real defining
> moment of a vendor’s life saying that  open stuff is a disruptive
> architecture ?
>
> Is Cisco moving to. subscription model because of Linux ? Is it that
> difficult to change Cisco to go Linux all the way ?
>
> ps. : it will probably be taken down soon.

  ++ytti