[c-nsp] NCS IOS-XR rant (was:Re: Internet border router recommendations and experiences)

Steve Mikulasik Steve.Mikulasik at civeo.com
Tue Feb 28 10:18:45 EST 2023

Cisco's method for rolling out updates (basically stuck in the 90s) is becoming more and more of a liability. When evaluating vendors I have started to place high importance in how they handle updates as there is less and less tolerance for leaving anything in a unpatched state for very long. Patch management software should be part of the product, it shouldn't be something I need to pay extra to do in an efficient manner, nor should it be expected you'd build out some scripting solution that accounts for all the annoying oddities a vendors platform should have. Cisco and other vendors need to really do better to ensure that their customers can easily patch so their boxes are not viewed as security liabilities.