[c-nsp] [External] Re: Support for CFP2

Rob Evans internetplumber at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:50:25 EST 2024

It sounds as though your provider is suggesting a CFP2-DCO, such as
one of these:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/datasheet-c78-743732.html

They're giving you a specification that includes the entire C band
(4.8THz), but stating that your wavelength must fit within 50GHz,
which is a traditional ITU-T channel width for DWDM systems, so they
should probably also specify which channel you're going to use.

CFP2-DCOs tend to work because they've got the space and power for the
DSPs, and it has been difficult to cram that into QSFP28s (coherent
optics requires a lot of signal processing). As you've already noted,
there are products in the pipeline, but I'm not aware of any that are
widely supported yet.  Cisco do seem to suggest there is a QSFP-DD
using QPSK for 100G, but I've not looked too closely at it (and note
that QSFP-DD is different to QSFP28, having about three times the
electrical power available):
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/datasheet-c78-744377.html

Cheers,
Rob