[cisco-voip] css, partitions and extension mobility

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Sat May 22 15:40:13 EDT 2004

Leonardo,

I suspect ! is going to be a special case because it implies any digit, any
number of digits.  Therefore the idea of "better match" pretty much
disappears.

We typically use calculations to see which is "better match"

Example:

91X = (1 possible match) * (1 possible match) * (10 possible matches) = 10
1XX = (1 possible match) * (10 possible matches) * (10 possible matches) =
100

Therefore 91X is a closer match if both 9 and 1 are matched.

However in the case of a variable length dialplan, this analysis does not
hold up.  I need to do a bit of testing, but I fear that solution was tested
with the fixed length US dialplan in mind.

/Wes