[cisco-voip] 7970 phones not failing over in CCM 4.1.2

Mike Newell mnewell at spottydogs.org
Tue Mar 8 08:59:28 EST 2005

60100183103.

Thanks,

Mike

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Wes Sisk wrote:

wsisk> I think I like CSCeg08536 or CSCeg36667 for your issue.  What is your
wsisk> TAC case number?
wsisk>
wsisk> /Wes
wsisk>
wsisk> Mike Newell wrote:
wsisk>
wsisk> >I have a CCM 4.1.2 system with a publisher on one subnet, two subscribers
wsisk> >on another subnet, and mostly 7970 phones plus one 7936 conference phone
wsisk> >on a third subnet.  All are local through a single router at present.
wsisk> >
wsisk> >When I look at the configuration for each phone I see all three CCM
wsisk> >servers' IP addresses listed in the order Subscriber 1 (with a lock next
wsisk> >to it), Subscriber 2, then Publisher.  During system testing I unplugged
wsisk> >Subscriber 1 to test failover.  The 7936 failed over as expected to
wsisk> >Subscriber 2.  None of the other phones failed over.
wsisk> >
wsisk> >To see what is going on I did a sniffer trace on a 7970's switch port.
wsisk> >The phone tries valiantly to connect to Subscriber 1 - both via TCP to the
wsisk> >CCM registration port and via TFTP.  Of course it fails.  It then tries an
wsisk> >SRST connection to its default gateway which also fails because we're not
wsisk> >running SRST on the core router.  It then starts the cycle again - always
wsisk> >trying to connect to Subscriber 1.
wsisk> >
wsisk> >So I went into the menus and erased the config.  I then power cycled - not
wsisk> >just ##*##'d - the phone.  It did the DHCP dance then again tried to
wsisk> >contact Subscriber 1.  Cisco Option 150 did indeed return the set
wsisk> >{Subscriber 1, Subscriber 2}.  Doesn't seem to phase the phone...
wsisk> >
wsisk> >This is the latest 7970 load - 6.0.2SR1.  The system is set for
wsisk> >authentication plus encryption.  I run another similar system with
wsisk> >7940/7960 phones that does not exhibit this problem (it's a production
wsisk> >system so I can't just plug in a 7970 and fail its subscriber to see what
wsisk> >happens).
wsisk> >
wsisk> >No failover is a Bad Thing(tm).
wsisk> >
wsisk> >I contacted the TAC last week and they are "looking into it".  So far
wsisk> >their only comment has been to check the LMHOSTS/HOSTS files on the
wsisk> >publisher and subscribers; these are correct and I'm using IP addresses
wsisk> >throughout anyway.  Othern' that they've come up with zero.
wsisk> >
wsisk> >Anybody out there run into a similar problem or have any ideas?  The
wsisk> >system is scheduled for deployment in two weeks and this is pretty much
wsisk> >the only problem I've seen in testing - and it's a BIG one!!
wsisk> >
wsisk> >Thanks!!
wsisk> >
wsisk> >Mike