[cisco-voip] Cisco IP Phone Address Book Synchronizer

Mike Newell mnewell at spottydogs.org
Wed Mar 9 08:56:55 EST 2005

Actually we had pretty good hopes for this and I spent a lot of time
tracking down why it wasn't working.  Part of that involved doing sniffer
traces and what I found engendered, uh, concern amongst our Security
group.

Apparently the application takes your username/pin, hashes the password,
and fires it off as an HTTP URL to the CallManager.  The target APS
returns an XML response that contains credentials that can then be used to
log into the directory as the directory manager.  The application then
does so to do its synchronizing dance.

The thing is the HTTP thing is easily forged, and as a result a hacker can
easily get credentials that permit him/her/it directory manager access to
your LDAP directory.  Ugh!  That, and the fact that the application
doesn't synchronize directly with Outlook, killed the project on our
systems.  And lead to a small modification in the host access policy for
our CallManagers...

Hopefully the Personal Assistant application is a little more
sophisticated.

Thanks,

Mike