[cisco-voip] small scale VOIP gw (Was: Calling Name...)

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Mar 9 15:10:14 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:00:05PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:

[...what is in which IOS version excised...]

> 	Just frustrated that I can't find a release that supports
> this without doing some massive hardware upgrade, as i've already got
> max flash/dram in my 2600 boxen.  I don't need bgp and all the other
> ospf/igrp/whatnot features, just static routing and the voice (SIP+PRI)
> featureset.

[...]

> 	am i just whining, or do other people see this as a major
> hurdle in their environments as well?  (too bloated with IP features
> and missing VoIP features?)

A couple of folks were bemoaning similar facts as well over the last few
days.  We really want a piece of hardware that 'just works' for single
PRI installations.  Equipment that you can put in place and forget
about for years -- alot like the thousands (millions?) of Cisco 25xx
gear that's hanging out and still plugging along.

I'd *really* like modular IOS, so that we can load up on VoIP fetures,
but drop unneeded IP routing fetures.  Does the telco-train work towards
this direction?  In the absence of a modular IOS, a VoIP train might be
of use...

	John