[cisco-voip] Cisco International TollBypass VoIP Over the Internet

Greg Arthmann garthmann at data-corporation.com
Thu Mar 10 22:07:42 EST 2005

Can anyone recommend the best "Enterprise" class solution for tollbypass call routing over the Internet. If we are lucky we are seeing a 60% success rate for connecting with acceptable audible quality on International dialing (IPPhone-to-IPPhone calls between sites are fine). We are running a centralized Call Manager deployment model. The central site in Miami is a Call Manager 4.0 Server with a 2811 H.323 PSTN gateway (FXO ports for PSTN access). Remote site IP phones in the carribean register back to the central Call Manager 4.0 Server over an IPSec VPN and access the PSTN for International dialing across the IPsec VPN and out the Miami 2811 gateway.

VoIP over the Internet is obviously best effort but I'd like to hear what type of success other companies are having and what type of configuration they are using. I don't think what we are attempting to do is so uncommon but I thought our call completion rate would be higher. Should we consider scraping IPsec and using GRE tunnels? Or maybe even clear text communication with public ip addressing? Or maybe local skinny IP phone registration in the Carribean on a Call Manager Express Router and route International PSTN dialing over H.323 back to the Miami H.323 gateway. What type of configuration do you think offers the best chance for success?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg Arthmann
Network Consultant
www.data-corporation.com