[cisco-voip] Dialplan conflicts

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Sat Mar 12 22:46:54 EST 2005

I think it's important to differentiate an overlapping dialplan from a variable length dialplan. Not sure if those are standard terms, but that's what I like to call them.

An overlapping dialplan is when two sites use the exact same extension to send calls to different people. In order to get that to work, you have to carefully plan your partitions and calling search spaces so that people in the same site dial numbers as they would normally, but to get to the same extension at a different site, they would enter a prefix. Getting overlapping dialplans to work with Unity is, well, impossible from what I can tell. There is no partitions in Unity, so you need unique identifiers. You could add digits to the begining and then use a voicemail profile to assign a mask. This will work when calls are forwarded to voicemail and for immediate sign-in, however, it doesn't help if you are using Unity for your autoattendant. People would need to know the exact extension of the user they are trying to get a hold of.

Now a variable length dialplan is a little easier to work with, and all you have to watch out for is interdigit delays for numbers that have alternate matches. If you can plan things so that the longer length dialplan does not use any numbers of the shorter dial plan, than you won't have any interdigit delay issues. For example, if your four digit plan uses 6XXX, than make sure your five digit plan uses anything but 6XXXX, otherwise, when people dial 6123 and you have 612345, then there will be a delay. Unity uses interdigit delay by default (no other option) so it will always wait a period of time before attempting to complete the call.

Hope this helps. Shout back if you have other questions.

Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.                                  lelio at uoguelph.ca.eh
Network Analyst (CCS)
University of Guelph                             FAX:(519) 767-1060 JNHN
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1                          TEL:(519) 824-4120 x56354
     remove the 1st letter of the canadian alphabet from my email, eh!