[cisco-voip] Convincing Management

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Mon Mar 21 12:13:37 EST 2005

My system management philosophy has always been something like "the vendor
goes to a lot of trouble to build these things, and I'm paying for all that
effort, so I may as well use them", combined with "newer should be better",
so I've generally upgraded whenever a new release or patch has come
available.  I also feel that if a problem does arise, the vendor will
probably be happier working on new stuff rather than old stuff.  I've been
burned a few times in the last 40 years or so, but not enough to make me
change my approach.  In the case of CallManager, we hadn't upgraded since
3.3(3), and 4.1(2) had a couple of features that we were pretty excited
about (desktop video, JAWS support), so the decision was fairly easy.  We're
discovering more new features every day, some of which are useful or
entertaining.  We have a tolerant, inquisitive user community.

I see 246 phones registered right now, and rarely see more than 6 or 8 calls
in-flight.  H.323 gateway into a single PRI with 20 active channels.  As for
hardware, we're using 1 1/4 GB in Compaq DL380G2s.  Publisher is an MP,
Subscriber is a UP.  We put the 2nd processor in the Publisher because of
long processor queues developing, in spite of low utilization.  Nobody's
come up with a satisfactory explanation of that, but the 2nd processor fixed
it.  RTMT, now that it's working, shows about 70% memory utilization on the
Publisher, 55% on the Subscriber, with CPU utilization averaging around 10%
on both.  Another GB of RAM is under $300 (2x512MB), but we see no need for
it now, and it will only get cheaper.

Mike Armstrong
UF/IFAS CREC
Lake Alfred, FL