[PACUG] RE: [cisco-voip] Ip phone are not able to pull address from new DHCPserver

Rossella Mariotti-Jones rossella at chemeketa.edu
Thu Mar 24 14:06:31 EST 2005

After capturing some packets we found that the DHCP offer gets passed to
the phone vlan through the gateway but there is no DHCP request going
back to the gateway from the phone. Our set up is very similar to what's
described here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a
0080114aee.shtml#how except the interface on the 6500 to which the
phone/pc connects to is not set up as trunk as described in the article,
our interface is set up this way:
interface FastEthernet8/31
no ip address
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 600
 switchport voice vlan 200
However, it's always worked perfectly up until now.
What would not allow the ip phone to send out a DHCP request?

Rossella Mariotti-Jones
Network Analyst, CCNA
Chemeketa Community College / IT
T 503 589 7775