[cisco-voip] General QOS question

Chris Ellington chris.ellington at nsi1.com
Wed Jun 7 07:10:31 EDT 2006

Do you have links on the quasi trunking mode with the phones?  I've done a
quick search and don't find it on the Cisco site (now that's a surprise :D)

My understanding of the desirable command is that is will allow a trunk to
form if the other side requests it (say two switches are connected).  I have
had trouble in the past with both sides wanting a desirable mode in that
neither will 'request' the trunk so it stays in an access mode (that's been
a while ago though, so it's probably fixed).

Also, do you really save much in the way of overhead/processing by using
this quasi trunk?  Let's say I have a Sup1A in a 6500 running 384 ports, all
trunked to various voice vlans - does the extra processing really hurt?

I'm not trying to be difficult, rather just understand the options.  I also
have a team of people to convince; my next move is to go to the SRND and
take the recommendation from there since TAC seems to fall back to that when
I have troubles.

Thanks!

chris

--