[cisco-voip] Cisco & Avaya integration

robert.bell1 at comcast.net robert.bell1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 11:17:02 EDT 2006

Maybe I'm crazy, but we are upgrading out layer 2 infrastructure to Cisco 3560 switches and the question was raised, what would that do to our Avaya VoIP solution (Please don't flame me, I have no choice over VoIP solutions).  I'm much more familiar with Cisco CallManager and CCME.

I got this crazy idea though:  Why can't I make Avaya phones work with our CCME routers?  I'm not really sure how they operate, but I assume they are similar to Cisco phones.  I think I found some firmware I have to push to them, but I have a few questions:
1.  Has anyone successfully done what I propose (Avaya IP phones working on a Cisco VoIP network?  And if so can I see your config files relevant to making that work.
2.  Does anyone know the requirements for the Avaya IP phones?  For instance, I know the Cisco phones require the firmware to be downloaded and pulls the config from the router.  It looks like the Avaya phones also need to pull the config as a file from a tftp server, but I really don't know anything about Avaya VoIP.  If anyone has a link to the basic requirements / operation I'd appreciate it. Oh, and FYI - I've got an Avaya 4606 phone to play with.

My basic goal was to make sure the phones were compatible with the PoE provided by the Cisco 3560 switches (which it is) and to make sure that it would continue to work with the existing Avaya VoIP solution (which it will). I just thought it would be neat to see them work integrated and possibly use SRST for remote survivability of our outsites using VoIP.

B.