[cisco-voip] 7960 PC port

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:54:05 EST 2006

This is interesting. I had been setting up trunk interfaces for the phones
on 3524XL's while we were using them... I went back to my training lab
manuals and that is how they explained to do it so I guess I never really
checked any other way until the 3550 models came out.

So I went in the lab and dug up one of those models and tried it out, to my
surprise it works the "Correct" way as well as trunked, which I did not
expect. Since we were told to program trunk ports for the 3524 I assumed it
was because the other way wouldnt work.

But we still dont know why Peter's PC/phone wont come up on that switchport
:)
- If you dont have any CDP config on the interface, that would indicate to
me that CDP is enabled (unless there is a global command to disable it)
- mls qos won't work on the 3524 (at least not what I'm running here), I
dont think its new enough to take some of the QoS features.. I always used
switchport trunk extend cos 0 to set the COS of anything hanging off the
phone to 0

I would try using switchport mode access, and then making sure
"spanning-tree portfast" is set on the interface. I dont see it on your
config above so maybe thats causing a problem. i've seen the phones bugger
up while they are waiting for the port to come up if portfast isnt on.

On 3/30/06, ash AD <commo_ssg_31f at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know this is probably elementary but, I am having issues getting a 7960
> to work with a PC hanging off the phone PC port. I am using CCM 4.1(3)sr2
> with the latest firmware device pack loaded (26.3). The phones a hanging
> from a 3524XL inline power switch. I am able to DHCP IPs from both the voice
> and access vlans from the switch in phone/PC separate port configuration. I
> tried two different configurations on the switch ports:
>
> Interface Fa 0/1
>    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
>    switchport mode trunk
>    switchport access vlan 5
>    switchport voice vlan 90
> (In this mode the DHCPs an IP and works, but the PC never DHCPs an IP)
>
> Interface Fa 0/1
>    switchport mode access
>    switchport access vlan 5
>    switchport voice vlan 90
> (In this mode the PC DHCPs an IP and works, but the phone does not work)
>
> Can someone tell me if I am stuck on stupid here? Thanks all!
>
> Peter

> Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Ed Leatherman
IP Telephony Coordinator
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations