[cisco-voip] 7960 PC port

Erick Bergquist erickbe at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 22:44:47 EST 2006

It depends :)    You can disable cdp globally on some hardware (no cdp run) and per interface on some (no cdp enable). It's something I normally don't do so not sure of all the commands across all the products.

As far as access-port vs trunk, both work..so the answer is, it depends on what you're doing, the network, etc. I prefer the access-port method as it's not really a full-trunk and thus less traffic going to phone and some phone models and phoneloads had issues with un-needed traffic being sent to them.

Sometimes phones get stubborn or new phone have that picky MFG phoneload that for some reason doesn't like to DHCP on the right VLAN, etc and configuring the switchport as an access port in just the voice VLAN (switchport access vlan voice#, and no switchport voice vlan command) gets the phone up and working and it upgrades to the current phoneload on the system then you can set the port back to your normal config with data and voice vlan and it'll be happy from that point on and work as expected.

On this one where the phone won't come up, is their available DHCP addresses to dish out? I've seen people swear they had available IPs but their pool was fully used so wasn't giving more out. Thus phone just kept trying and trying...