[cisco-voip] asterisk for Voicemail and CM 5.1

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Aug 15 17:13:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 13:44 -0700, Scott Voll wrote:
> has anyone used asterisk for Voicemail with CM 5.1.2?

Unfortunately not seriously.

> is it pretty easy to setup?

It can take a bit to figure out if you're completely unfamiliar with it.

>   are there any big problems?
>   does MWI work?

It works for SIP phones that talk directly to Asterisk.  MWI isn't going
to work for phones attached to your CallManager.  But since Asterisk is
open-source it *could* work - it'll just take a little coding/scripting.

> I've never played with Asterisk so sorry for the bone head questions.
> Current VM / PBX is having issues when using CM 5.1 so I'm looking for
> options.
>
> are there any cost involved? other then a server?

Asterisk is GPL software and runs best on Linux (although ISTR that
there are some crazies out there that have ported it to BSD and
Windows).  I'd recommend using one of the "enterprise" Linuxes like
RHEL, CentOS or SLES (I'm sure that there are Debian "enterprise" Linux
variants but I'm unfamiliar with them).  CentOS is a free derivative of
RHEL.  RHEL and SLES are going to cost you some money (but come with
correspondingly better support).

Jeff