[cisco-voip] federal NRO number assignment rules ?

Dark Fiber d4rkf1ber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 09:46:07 EDT 2007

Recently I asked the group about an internal issue I am facing
regarding how we are leveraging DID's and central PRI's.

Basically, we have asked for and recieved a block of DID's that all
fall into one range.  Those are all tied to a couple of PRI's that
come into a central location.

We have not only assigned DID's to employees who work out of the
central location, but through the magic of VoIP "ohhh ahhh" we have
users with Cisco phones and DID's from the corporate office who work
remotely.

Nothing new here, and nothing I have not seen done every place I have
worked out in the last oh 10 years or so.

However for the first time I am at a company who has some lawyer /
regulatory person on staff who is questioning whether this is legal or
not.

The current statement from this person experiencing concern is,
"compliance with federal NRO number assignment rules".

Sounds awfully legal and well thats what I asked for.  I previously
told this person that for the most part everyone I have polled
regarding these concerns have basically agreed in saying its very
common to do this and if it is illegal then show me where and what
makes it illegal?  So thats what they replied with, and well I am
googling and trying to make sense of what I read but I can't say I
fully understand it.

Anyone know more about this and understand the implications and how it
affects a business doing what I am doing internally for employee
phones?